Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Review: Among Others

Morwenna, a 15 year old in 1979, has been through the death of her twin and a mother who claims to be a witch. She is sent to live with her father and his sisters and she is promptly sent to a boarding school in England. She doesn’t fit in and loses herself in a world of science fiction books.

I was a child of the 70s and 80s.

While, I was younger then the heroine of the book, Morwenna, I still enjoyed the references in the book. I was also book obsessed as a teen ager, while not into science fiction and fantasy at the time, I was still eager to get into any book I could.

This book is full of references to books of Roger Zelazny, Ursula Le Guin and the Lord of the Rings books. I have not read any of them.

This coming of age story drew me in. Maybe it was my penchant to thinking of the past but I enjoyed it. It would definitely draw in the kid of today who is into science fiction and maybe a little bit nerdy.

************

I am still trying to figure out the best way to review books. With descriptions? Without? Some sort of rating system? Hmmm….

No comments:

Post a Comment